For this coastal kitchen remodel to achieve an open feel we had to remove most of the walls that separated the front of the house from the back.
We incorporated a flush-mount hood over a pro range, highlighting the client’s classic acrylic pendants without obstructing the view into the family room. The microwave drawer was installed flush into the end space of the island to create a cleaner look and better use of the area. The full-height abalone colored linear glass picks up the subtle hints of color found in the Monte Cristo granite island.
The existing kitchen design had a peninsula projection extending from a bank of cabinets along the rear exterior wall. A door to the outside, off the side of the house, separated another bank of cabinets located along the left side of the home. Walls surrounded the space and created a very congested feel to the home. Like most clients today, they wanted a more open area that is connected and feels spacious. They wanted a large room for entertaining but not a vacuous space. We removed the peninsula and stole some space from an adjacent room toward the front of the home. This allowed the creation of an “L” shaped kitchen and an island.
The client loves to bake and requested a small dedicated station for her to do so. To help delineate the space and add some prominence to it, we set the cabinets back by 2″, lifted them up by 4″ and changed the color to match the island.
We integrated a pantry closet into the design of the space and had it painted with chalkboard paint for function and design splash.
- Cabinetry and Island, By Imperial Cabinets, Alder wood construction, “Artesia” Design style, full overlay.
- Cabinetry paint colors and island paint color, Imperial Cabinets Custom Color Decorator White. Island is Granite Peak (SW6250) by Sherwin Williams
- Flooring (Is this the same flooring throughout the house?), Existing Wood. Stained to be matched to Elegance-Exotic Walnut
- Wall tile Island Aruba Chevron Mesh in matte from Arizona Tile. Grout is Laticret #91 Slate Grey
- Countertop/ stone backsplash, Island/Baking Nook, and Baking Nook Splash is Piracema White Leather by Amazon Stone with a mitered 2 ¼ inch edge detail
- Ceiling color: in 99% of our projects we suggest to clients that they use brilliant white ceiling paint by Sherwin Williams
- Door leading to the exterior, a rustic true dutch door by T.M.Cobb ordered from Dixieline
- Fridge, Samsung 31.7 CUFT 4-Door French Door with Convertible Zone (RF32FMQDBSR)
- Cooktop, Bertazzoni, Pro 36″ Low Professional Built-in Cooktop with 6 Brass Burners (QB36600X)
- Range, Bertazzoni Professional Series QB36 6 00 X
- Wall oven, Miele 30CM Combi Steam Oven, Contourline (DGC6705XLSS-MD) and <iele 30 Inch Convection Oven (H6520BPSS-MD)
Team members for this home remodel:
Project Designer, John Ryan
Design Consultant, Steven Mark
Project Manager, Ian Nanson
Photographer, Milan Kovacevic
Cabinet Maker, Imperial Cabinets