Bathroom remodel projects can make a big difference for every homeowner. But for one Oceanside veteran family, in particular, a bathroom remodel has changed their lives.
It’s not fun when you get stuck in a bathroom. That was often the case for RoseMary. Until now.
A bathroom remodel for RoseMary.
Marrokal Design and Remodeling loves to help our veterans. When we got a call from Wounded Warriors in SanDiego about RoseMary needing a bathroom because the old door was too small for her to get her wheelchair through, we wanted to help out. Her son-in-law (Army 24 years) is stationed out of state. RoseMary lives with her daughter, Christy, in Oceanside. Getting around in the old bathroom was nearly impossible and not safe. We helped out by remodeling the bathroom to make sure it’s safe for her and beautiful. Here’s the result! And, the funny thing is: RoseMary says she loves to clean it now because it’s so easy to take care of! Way to go RoseMary!! 🙂
- Need to make your bathroom more accessible for all? Here are a few things to consider before you start your bathroom remodel.
- Widening doorways. As you can see in this story, RoseMary couldn’t easily get through the doorway of her previous bathroom. Most doorways, especially in older homes, are more narrow. To accommodate a walker or wheelchair, the doorway must be widened.
- Raising the toilet seat and lowering countertops might also be a handy solution to make the bathroom more accessible not only for those in wheelchairs but also children.
- Adding grab bars on both sides of the toilet, as seen in this video, can conveniently fold up against the wall when not in use, making it perfect for anyone to come in and use the restroom.
- Grab bars alongside the walk-in shower make it a safer experience.
You can also adapt the rest of your home to make it more accessible for walkers and wheelchairs. Check out how we installed an elevator in this home for an elderly couple.
You can see the elevator installed in a home in this video.
Ready to remodel your bathroom or home? Give us a call for a free consultation.